Skip to main content

assumptions people make about type 1 diabetes


In my nine years living with type 1 diabetes I’ve learned a fair bit about myself. Not just my ability to calculate the right amount of insulin for my meal or how exercise, sleep, hormones, sickness or excitement affect my blood sugar levels. My biggest lesson has been patience. I work really hard to keep my levels as stable as possible, but being a diabetic means I had to learn to accept that despite all of that hard work, sometimes I’ll still have elevated blood sugar for reasons beyond my control. When people find out that I have type 1 diabetes they tend to ask a lot of questions. I can’t say I really blame them, I know that a lot of people genuinely mean well but both type 1 and type 2 diabetes are still poorly understood by the average person, meaning that people with diabetes tend to get asked insensitive questions. 

So….I decided to create a short checklist of things to avoid asking when you are talking to someone about their Type 1 Diabetes. 


 1. "Did you get that from eating too much sugar?”

For the record, neither type 1 or type 2 diabetes are caused by eating too much sugar. Let’s go over type 1 diabetes: It’s not entirely clear what causes the condition, but it’s thought that it happens when the immune system wrongly attacks the insulin producing cells in the pancreas. This causes damage and makes the pancreas unable to properly produce insulin. Type 1 also may have a genetic component, although I personally have no genetic history in my family. So no, eating too much sugar as a kid has no affect on whether you develop type 1 diabetes.


2. My friend’s sister’s cousin’s mother-in-law has diabetes, so I totally get what you’re going through.”

No, you don’t. Maybe your friend’s sister’s cousin’s mother-in-law gets it, but until you have had to wake up in the middle of the night with low blood sugar, your whole body shaking, your heart pounding, and your vision blurring while the rest of the people in your house are sound asleep you can’t possibly understand what it’s like.


Don’t get me wrong, I do appreciate someone trying to relate to me by mentioning someone in their life who specifically has type 1. But a better way to make a comment like this, if you must, is to say, “I know someone with type 1, but I’m really interested to hear about your experience with it if you’re comfortable sharing.” Then, I’m happy to share some of my experience with you and you can better support your friend’s sister’s cousin’s mother-in-law, too.


3. "Are you sure you can eat that?”

The only thing worse than hearing this question is hearing it just as I’m about to take a bite of whatever food I’m enjoying. I know you mean well, but asking this can make me feel alienated and center of attention. I am an adult, so please trust that I can make my own food choices and that I already understand the effect that my chosen meal will have on my blood sugar levels.
If you know a diabetic, just let them refuse a cupcake if they want to and let them eat the cupcake if they choose. I guarantee they know more about their diabetes than you.  The truth is, a person with type 1 diabetes can generally eat what they want as long as they understand their carbohydrate-to-insulin ratio (in other words, how much insulin I need to take per amount of carbohydrates).  But at my age and with my experience I can eat what I want safely, so you don’t have to ask.

4. "Oh my gosh, you have to take shots every day? I could never do that." 

I guarantee if you had to give yourself injections to live, you’d get over your fear of needles too. I’ve experienced some interesting reactions from other people when I’ve taken my insulin injection in a public place. Thankfully, most of the time everyone in my life has been kind and understanding, but please remember that insulin is the only treatment for type 1 diabetes. I can’t go and skip my insulin injection, so I unfortunately can’t plan my treatment around your squeamishness.  If your friend doesn’t think twice about testing their blood sugar or giving themselves an insulin shot in public, then you shouldn’t either.



5. "You can’t have diabetes!! You’re so skinny.”

This is my personal favorite because of how much I’ve heard it throughout my life. Actually, Type 1 Diabetes can happen to anyone regardless of what they look like. Also, uncontrolled diabetes can typically cause you to lose weight because of high blood glucose. So yes, I can be a diabetic and still be skinny.



Diabetes is a tricky disease that is different for everyone. Each person has a private way to deal with their particular requirements. I'm so thankful to be surrounded with friends/family that are supportive and encouraging. I love the people who make me laugh and who I can go through life with. These are the people that make it easier to handle the yucky parts of diabetes. 

Having a strong support system is everything!














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Me

Hi, I'm Abbi and welcome to my blog! I’m from Fort Wayne, Indiana and am 21 years old.   I am currently a senior in college and am working towards being a wellness coach and personal trainer, and am majoring in recreation administration. The most important things in my life are my family, friends, wonderful boyfriend, and my faith.  Another thing I should mention is that I have been a Type One Diabetic since I was 14.   The disease is a part of my everyday life, and although it has brought many challenges, I have learned about myself and grown so much because of it. People tend to assume that I can't have sugar or sweets because of my disease, but that isn't the case at all.  Over the years, I  have learned to find a balance between staying healthy and still enjoying my life. I guess that's the sweet spot, and how I came up with the name of my blog.  Writing h

at home ab workout 💗

Hi guys! Welcome back to another fitness blog post. Today I'm going to share one of my favorite ab workouts. I usually do this twice a week and I've really noticed results! You don't need any equipment, just your own body weight and it takes only 8-10 minutes. Just because you don't have access to a gym doesn't give you an excuse to not love and move your body! *Do 25 repetitions of each exercise* Sit and Taps Russian Twists *I used a dumbbell for this exercise but you definitely don't need one! Sit and Twist Mountain Climbers Circle Crunches *Be sure to squeeze your core throughout the entire movement. Kick out to Reverse Crunch Flutter Kicks Toe Taps Side Crunches Bicycles Plank And that's it! Happy Sweating 💓🤪

how to stay healthy on vacation

  Recently, I just  returned from a week vacation in Florida with my fiance and my family. It was such a relaxing time, and it felt awesome to have a break from work and everyday life. I typically don't worry too much about sticking to my workout routine on vacations because I think it's healthy to rest every once in a while to prevent burnout.  But l et’s be honest, vacations are where healthy habits go out the window. Late nights, eating out every day, missing your daily workout, midnight snacks…….. we can be quick to excuse our overindulgence because we are “enjoying ourselves” and “living in the moment." That is, until we return from our vacation feeling sick and in need of another vacation to recover from our last vacation. This can be especially unmotivating if you’re like me and are the type that loves daily routine, workouts and eating healthy. This doesn't always have to be the case though. Over the years I have discovered simple things to do wh