Skip to main content

Starting a Fitness Routine





With the start of Fall comes a new school year and new routines. I work at a gym, and typically this time of year we get a lot of new members wanting to start their fitness journey. We all have been there and get ourselves all hyped up for a week… and then we end up losing our fitness streak. Then we must start over, back to square one. I'm here to share some tips on how to KEEP that streak going and ways to stay motivated!

 Do what works for your schedule

The number one mistake that people tend to make is plan to workout hard 7 days a week only to burn out after day 2 and eventually give up. If you work a full-time job or are in school, realistically you will not have the time to workout every single day. Simply take a look at your schedule and pick the days that work best for you, even if it's just twice a week, that's better than not going at all!

Plan it out

When you have no idea what you are going to do at the gym, or have no idea how to use any equipment, it can be very intimidating. Most gyms have employees (like me!) that will be happy to show you around and how machines work if you ASK. Planning your workouts in advance can also help a lot. Write down what workouts you want to complete for the week, and break them down into different exercises, sets, reps. This will make it easier when you do hit the gym, because you can just jump right in!

For example, if Monday is leg day these are some of my favorite exercises I would choose!

3x10-Leg Press
3x8- Weighted Squats
3x10- Lunges
4x10-Hip Abductors, Hip Adductors

Start eating right

It's very hard to gain muscle and definition if you are are feeding your body mostly junk. I don't mean just eat salads for every meal, but just making a few healthier choices is a great start. Choose energy boosting foods like baked sweet potatoes, bananas in smoothies, instant oatmeal, and brown rice with chicken. Remember, just because it's healthy doesn't mean it has to taste bad!

Wear the right clothes

I'm a huge believer in the saying, "Look good, feel good." Wearing an outfit that you feel great in really boosts your confidence and can help you enjoy your workout even more! I personally love wearing leggings and tanks from Gymshark, because they are cute but still affordable.  





These are ways that have helped me kickstart my own fitness journey.  I hope they motivate you to turn those thoughts of getting healthier, into action. Just a little bit of time everyday can lead to big changes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Me

Hi, I'm Abbi and welcome to my blog! I’m from Fort Wayne, Indiana and am 21 years old.   I am currently a senior in college and am working towards being a wellness coach and personal trainer, and am majoring in recreation administration. The most important things in my life are my family, friends, wonderful boyfriend, and my faith.  Another thing I should mention is that I have been a Type One Diabetic since I was 14.   The disease is a part of my everyday life, and although it has brought many challenges, I have learned about myself and grown so much because of it. People tend to assume that I can't have sugar or sweets because of my disease, but that isn't the case at all.  Over the years, I  have learned to find a balance between staying healthy and still enjoying my life. I guess that's the sweet spot, and how I came up with the name of my blog.  Writing h

at home ab workout 💗

Hi guys! Welcome back to another fitness blog post. Today I'm going to share one of my favorite ab workouts. I usually do this twice a week and I've really noticed results! You don't need any equipment, just your own body weight and it takes only 8-10 minutes. Just because you don't have access to a gym doesn't give you an excuse to not love and move your body! *Do 25 repetitions of each exercise* Sit and Taps Russian Twists *I used a dumbbell for this exercise but you definitely don't need one! Sit and Twist Mountain Climbers Circle Crunches *Be sure to squeeze your core throughout the entire movement. Kick out to Reverse Crunch Flutter Kicks Toe Taps Side Crunches Bicycles Plank And that's it! Happy Sweating 💓ðŸĪŠ

how to stay healthy on vacation

  Recently, I just  returned from a week vacation in Florida with my fiance and my family. It was such a relaxing time, and it felt awesome to have a break from work and everyday life. I typically don't worry too much about sticking to my workout routine on vacations because I think it's healthy to rest every once in a while to prevent burnout.  But l et’s be honest, vacations are where healthy habits go out the window. Late nights, eating out every day, missing your daily workout, midnight snacks…….. we can be quick to excuse our overindulgence because we are “enjoying ourselves” and “living in the moment." That is, until we return from our vacation feeling sick and in need of another vacation to recover from our last vacation. This can be especially unmotivating if you’re like me and are the type that loves daily routine, workouts and eating healthy. This doesn't always have to be the case though. Over the years I have discovered simple things to do wh