Skip to main content

How to beat seasonal blues


With the changing of the seasons comes cooler weather, bonfires, hot chocolate. Also along with those things can come mood changes as well. The days become shorter, the temperature is getting colder, and we’re stuck inside trying to stay warm. The upcoming winter season can have a huge effect on our everyday life.  We can get stuck in the daily routine of oversleeping, and sluggishness. I know that during this time of the year, I tend to be less motivated, tired, and just not as happy as I am in the warmer months of the year.  So, here are some tips and tricks to fight through the seasonal blues!


Get Enough Sleep

It’s easy for us to get sluggish and tired when the sky goes dark by 5 pm.  I know I hate getting off work and walking to my car in the pitch black. One thing that will help is making sure you don't stay up all night. (I know I know easier said than done for the night owls) But going to bed at a reasonable time, and waking up bright and early gives you more time in the day to do things and get everything done!  Make the most out of your day, by being up and active sooner instead of later. Plus, waking up earlier gives you an excuse to drink an extra cup of coffee ;)


Get Out Of The House 


When it's FREEZING outside, the last thing you want to do is leave your cozy bed.  But, bundle up and let some sun shine on your skin. Even it's just driving around town in your car, listening to music, do it!  I really enjoy blasting music and going on long drives. It really clears my mind  of stress and gives me a break from the business of school and life. Meet a friend for some coffee or go on a walk. Go grocery shopping and spend some time together outside rather than in. There’s plenty of things to do if you just set aside the time to actually do them.

Exercise & Stay Healthy

Getting your body moving and your blood flowing is SO important for our both our physical health and mental health.  Head to the gym and get a workout in!  Even just a quick walk around the neighborhood would be good way to get some exercise in.  Try to eat a healthy diet, because this way your body is getting the proper nutrition that it needs to function. Try to avoid filling your body with food that will only make you feel sluggish and gross. Another important way to stay healthy is to take vitamins. When it's dark and cold outside every day, our bodies don't get all the benefits that it needs from the sunshine. I recommend taking vitamin D every day in the colder months because it helps boost your immune system and reduces symptoms of depression. 


Take Up A New Hobby

Winter is the perfect time to find a new hobby!  Maybe read a new book, or learn some new recipes. Trying new things keeps you motivated and helps you rediscover yourself. You may discover something new that you absolutely love.



These are just a few ways to cope with the case of seasonal blues.  I hope these tips help you out a little!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Me

Hi, I'm Abbi and welcome to my blog! I’m from Fort Wayne, Indiana and am 21 years old.   I am currently a senior in college and am working towards being a wellness coach and personal trainer, and am majoring in recreation administration. The most important things in my life are my family, friends, wonderful boyfriend, and my faith.  Another thing I should mention is that I have been a Type One Diabetic since I was 14.   The disease is a part of my everyday life, and although it has brought many challenges, I have learned about myself and grown so much because of it. People tend to assume that I can't have sugar or sweets because of my disease, but that isn't the case at all.  Over the years, I  have learned to find a balance between staying healthy and still enjoying my life. I guess that's the sweet spot, and how I came up with the name of my blog.  Writing h

at home ab workout 💗

Hi guys! Welcome back to another fitness blog post. Today I'm going to share one of my favorite ab workouts. I usually do this twice a week and I've really noticed results! You don't need any equipment, just your own body weight and it takes only 8-10 minutes. Just because you don't have access to a gym doesn't give you an excuse to not love and move your body! *Do 25 repetitions of each exercise* Sit and Taps Russian Twists *I used a dumbbell for this exercise but you definitely don't need one! Sit and Twist Mountain Climbers Circle Crunches *Be sure to squeeze your core throughout the entire movement. Kick out to Reverse Crunch Flutter Kicks Toe Taps Side Crunches Bicycles Plank And that's it! Happy Sweating 💓ðŸĪŠ

how to stay healthy on vacation

  Recently, I just  returned from a week vacation in Florida with my fiance and my family. It was such a relaxing time, and it felt awesome to have a break from work and everyday life. I typically don't worry too much about sticking to my workout routine on vacations because I think it's healthy to rest every once in a while to prevent burnout.  But l et’s be honest, vacations are where healthy habits go out the window. Late nights, eating out every day, missing your daily workout, midnight snacks…….. we can be quick to excuse our overindulgence because we are “enjoying ourselves” and “living in the moment." That is, until we return from our vacation feeling sick and in need of another vacation to recover from our last vacation. This can be especially unmotivating if you’re like me and are the type that loves daily routine, workouts and eating healthy. This doesn't always have to be the case though. Over the years I have discovered simple things to do wh