Skip to main content

Handling Type One Diabetes while Living at College


Create routine
       One of the most important things in handling my blood sugars while living at college was to create routines. While I’m living at college I tried to eat breakfast at the same time before my classes every day, or tried to workout at the same times during the week, because my body gets used to it, and for me the routines created more stabilization in my numbers and less extreme highs and lows.

Try not to stress out
       One major factor that can cause high blood sugar in diabetics is stress. Unfortunately, stress cannot always be controlled especially at college. Not only are there tests, homework deadlines, laundry, and friend drama to deal with. Living at college can make stressors worse because you don’t get many breaks from constant stress. Unlike going to local college, you can’t just go home for the day. I have noticed over the past three years of going away to college that my blood sugar tends to lower a lot more over the summer, simply because of less demands and stress to handle. Even though stress cannot always be helped, there are ways to cope and relax that will calm you down and lead to more stable blood sugars. A few of my favorite ways to de-stress are to drink a cup of tea, watch a Ted Talk and journal, or read a good book.

Find meals that work, and stick to them
       One of the hardest parts about living at college is the food. The dining hall food is typically not good quality, and in my experience there are very little meat and protein options, which are important in my diet as a diabetic. Over the years I have found food options that work best for me, and I tend to eat a lot of food in my room or make my own meals over dining hall food. Consistency is key, especially in what you eat and I have found that the more I stick to the foods that work best with my body and blood sugar, the better I feel overall. Some of my favorites are chicken, salads, peanut butter, oatmeal, yogurt, and berries.

Get enough sleep
       One of the most important, yet difficult, things that affects blood sugar is sleep. In college, this is often last on the priority list. I remember my freshman year I averaged about 4-6 hours a night... not the smartest choice. Lack of sleep is also proven to affect your decision-making skills and can cause more cravings for carbs and sugar and this can lead to poor food choices, which will also contribute to higher blood sugar levels. I also noticed that high and low blood sugar symptoms are a lot less severe when I have had a full night of sleep. Even though it can be difficult to get enough sleep in college, it is well worth it because a well rested person is a healthier one.

Accept that you are not perfect
       Lastly, the most important thing in handling diabetes is accepting the fact that there will be bad days, and sometimes you cannot always control your blood sugar or your circumstances. No one is perfect, and this is definitely true in handling diabetes. Striving for perfection will always leave you disappointed. I have come to realize that there will be days where you just have to do the best you can possibly do, and that is enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Me

Hi, I'm Abbi and welcome to my blog! I’m from Fort Wayne, Indiana and am 21 years old.   I am currently a senior in college and am working towards being a wellness coach and personal trainer, and am majoring in recreation administration. The most important things in my life are my family, friends, wonderful boyfriend, and my faith.  Another thing I should mention is that I have been a Type One Diabetic since I was 14.   The disease is a part of my everyday life, and although it has brought many challenges, I have learned about myself and grown so much because of it. People tend to assume that I can't have sugar or sweets because of my disease, but that isn't the case at all.  Over the years, I  have learned to find a balance between staying healthy and still enjoying my life. I guess that's the sweet spot, and how I came up with the name of my blog.  Writing h

at home ab workout πŸ’—

Hi guys! Welcome back to another fitness blog post. Today I'm going to share one of my favorite ab workouts. I usually do this twice a week and I've really noticed results! You don't need any equipment, just your own body weight and it takes only 8-10 minutes. Just because you don't have access to a gym doesn't give you an excuse to not love and move your body! *Do 25 repetitions of each exercise* Sit and Taps Russian Twists *I used a dumbbell for this exercise but you definitely don't need one! Sit and Twist Mountain Climbers Circle Crunches *Be sure to squeeze your core throughout the entire movement. Kick out to Reverse Crunch Flutter Kicks Toe Taps Side Crunches Bicycles Plank And that's it! Happy Sweating πŸ’“πŸ€ͺ

how to stay healthy on vacation

  Recently, I just  returned from a week vacation in Florida with my fiance and my family. It was such a relaxing time, and it felt awesome to have a break from work and everyday life. I typically don't worry too much about sticking to my workout routine on vacations because I think it's healthy to rest every once in a while to prevent burnout.  But l et’s be honest, vacations are where healthy habits go out the window. Late nights, eating out every day, missing your daily workout, midnight snacks…….. we can be quick to excuse our overindulgence because we are “enjoying ourselves” and “living in the moment." That is, until we return from our vacation feeling sick and in need of another vacation to recover from our last vacation. This can be especially unmotivating if you’re like me and are the type that loves daily routine, workouts and eating healthy. This doesn't always have to be the case though. Over the years I have discovered simple things to do wh