Skip to main content

feeling confident in my own skin + you can too ♡


Hi guys, welcome back to my blog. Today's post is going to be a little bit more personal. I wanted to sit down and talk to you like best friends having a conversation. Today I wanted to talk to you about confidence and being comfortable in your own skin. I am just going to share my own story + advice and I hope you enjoy it!

The first thing I want to start off by saying is that I have always been naturally petite. I was born premature so I am sure that has something to do with it, but I have always just been really really little. I was never self-conscious about my weight until around middle school. Around that time I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. I won't go into details in this post, but basically that caused me to lose a ton of weight, so I was even smaller. Middle school can be rough, so I remember my friends would always comment on how skinny I was, how small my wrists were, and how tiny my legs were.  I remember overanalyzing my body and for the first time really feeling self-conscious. The beginning of high school was when I first got into working out/fitness. My high school friend group was all on the cross-country team, so I started running too. I remember feeling so good after a run, accomplished and proud of myself. I felt strong both externally and internally. Even though I loved running, I became too obsessed with working out and healthy eating that it consumed me. I would constantly feel guilty for eating anything unhealthy or high in carbs and would run extra miles just to "work it off".

It wasn't until my junior year of college that I started lifting weights and began running less and less. I loved how strong I felt from lifting and started eating a more balanced diet full of all kinds of food and noticed how much better/happier I felt. I began accepting myself as I am and combined with feeling strong from lifting, I felt more confident in myself than ever before. Now I have been lifting weights for over two years and I have such a healthier relationship with food and exercise.


The number one thing that I have learned throughout my fitness journey is to do workouts that you truly enjoy. If you are forcing yourself to run when you hate running, working out is not going to be enjoyable and you will begin to dread it and quit all together. Everyone’s body is different and different workouts work for different people. I personally have discovered that lifting weights is my favorite form of exercise and works well for my body. Other people may prefer running, yoga, or boxing. At the end of the day it’s all about what you love and what brings you enjoyment.


In order to truly feel confident in yourself you need to come to the realization that you are different and unique and not like anybody else and understand how cool that is! I love the quote that says, "you don't need to be pretty like her, you can be pretty like you." I think this is so true because we often forget that "pretty" or "beautiful" comes in many different forms not just the models we see on Instagram.  Admiring someone else’s beauty doesn’t take away or lessen your own. In order to be truly confident we need to fully embrace who we are. Not just our physical features, but also our personality, our sense of humor, the weird quirks we have. Another way to embrace who you are is to focus on what you love about yourself.

I realized that I wasn't going to force myself to live this unsustainable life just to have bigger legs and a smaller stomach. Everyone has qualities about themself that they want to change. The key is instead focus on what you have and be grateful for how you were created. If everyone were the exact same, the world would be so boring.

At the end of the day, you need to work towards being the best version of yourself. Life is too short to have all these standards and be hard on yourself. Loving and embracing yourself is probably one of the most rewarding things in life.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Me

Hi, I'm Abbi and welcome to my blog! I’m from Fort Wayne, Indiana and am 21 years old.   I am currently a senior in college and am working towards being a wellness coach and personal trainer, and am majoring in recreation administration. The most important things in my life are my family, friends, wonderful boyfriend, and my faith.  Another thing I should mention is that I have been a Type One Diabetic since I was 14.   The disease is a part of my everyday life, and although it has brought many challenges, I have learned about myself and grown so much because of it. People tend to assume that I can't have sugar or sweets because of my disease, but that isn't the case at all.  Over the years, I  have learned to find a balance between staying healthy and still enjoying my life. I guess that's the sweet spot, and how I came up with the name of my blog.  Writing h

at home ab workout 💗

Hi guys! Welcome back to another fitness blog post. Today I'm going to share one of my favorite ab workouts. I usually do this twice a week and I've really noticed results! You don't need any equipment, just your own body weight and it takes only 8-10 minutes. Just because you don't have access to a gym doesn't give you an excuse to not love and move your body! *Do 25 repetitions of each exercise* Sit and Taps Russian Twists *I used a dumbbell for this exercise but you definitely don't need one! Sit and Twist Mountain Climbers Circle Crunches *Be sure to squeeze your core throughout the entire movement. Kick out to Reverse Crunch Flutter Kicks Toe Taps Side Crunches Bicycles Plank And that's it! Happy Sweating 💓🤪

how to stay healthy on vacation

  Recently, I just  returned from a week vacation in Florida with my fiance and my family. It was such a relaxing time, and it felt awesome to have a break from work and everyday life. I typically don't worry too much about sticking to my workout routine on vacations because I think it's healthy to rest every once in a while to prevent burnout.  But l et’s be honest, vacations are where healthy habits go out the window. Late nights, eating out every day, missing your daily workout, midnight snacks…….. we can be quick to excuse our overindulgence because we are “enjoying ourselves” and “living in the moment." That is, until we return from our vacation feeling sick and in need of another vacation to recover from our last vacation. This can be especially unmotivating if you’re like me and are the type that loves daily routine, workouts and eating healthy. This doesn't always have to be the case though. Over the years I have discovered simple things to do wh